Saturday 14 February 2015

Mum's anguish as newborn baby is tested for AIDS after nurse confuses breast milk with another patient


A newborn baby had to have an AIDS test after blundering medics at a crisis-hit hospital accidentally fed her breast milk from another mother.
Kerryanne Davidson went through a week of anguish as she waited for the results for her newborn daughter Lucy.
And the angry 25-year-old says it was only part of the nightmare she endured after being taken to Wishaw General Hospital to give birth.
As she cuddled her baby, Kerryanne called her experience with the hospital “the most distressing in my life”.
Kerryanne’s mum Alison and husband Andrew, 25, rushed to the hospital to be with her and Lucy was delivered by Caesarean, weighing 2lbs 3oz.
Two or three days after the birth, Kerryanne had to endure another shock.
She said: “I was told by a nurse that doctors had left part of the scissors stitched inside me.
“They X-rayed me, then said they had been mistaken.
“But to this day, I’m not sure if I’m carrying around some extra equipment.”
The worst was still to come for Kerryanne. She recalled: “Two weeks later, I was 
told Lucy had been fed milk expressed by another mother and would have to be tested for HIV and AIDS.
I was horrified. I didn’t know if the milk came from a drug addict or whatever.
“I could hardly believe a tiny baby was having to be subjected to this after everything else that had happened to her.
“It was like a bad dream. I don’t know what I’d have done if I’d been told my 
baby had AIDS.”
Kerryanne said she and Andrew spoke to a people’s advocate about beginning a formal complaint against the hospital.
But in the end, they decided to get on with their lives rather than pursuing any kind of hearing.
Lucy rallied well after her difficult start to life. She is now healthy and weighs 9l1 

No comments:

Advertise on LindaSpizeBlog

For Advert Inquiries
T:08082595656
E:lindaspize@gmail.com

For News/Tip Off
E:lindaspize@gmail.com

Lindaspize@gmail.com

Name

Email *

Message *